Monday, December 17, 2007

11: Gym musings - 18 Dec 2007








SORE LEGS - SILLY-I-KNOW-BEST INDUCED

Well, being a bit too clever for my own good I went like a bat out of hell at the gym.

Its the school holidays this week & it seems that the small group that does Salsa aerobics have kids & so the classes have been cancelled due to low attendance. To not give up on my lets-lose-weight campaign I finally had no choice but to get myself into the gym proper & typically, the result was overdoing it. (Now I can't do any exercise so will lose days.) It wasn't a conscious thing.

There was a woman in the gym, dressed for the winter climes (24-29C), woolly tracksuit & cardigan on, walking around talking to people. Turns out she works there & was the gym advisor. Well judging a book by its cover, I assumed she knew nothing & was just one of those super bossy people who likes telling everyone else how to do everything. When it was my turn to be interrogated, I smugly said I'd been coming for a whole 3 weeks (didn't mention it was only Salsa dancing, not weights) & as I mentioned before, went like a bat out of hell, not listening to Ms Woolly Valley's advice.

Got all excited over some give-you-muscly-calves machine & boy!!! am I paying for that now. I'm walking like a squat old beggar woman & very slow too - Seth can testify for that, as last night when out shopping he walked metres ahead of me because I was so slow apparently. (Nothing to do with my attractive posture & walk of course).

Unfortunately, my legs got worse not better in the 2 days since I overdid things so I've been pretty much stuck at home with the 3 delightful ones, & haven't ventured out as I can't possibly keep my dignity & run around after them in public, & I've lost my speed. Wincing with pain as I shuffle along & constantly stopping to stretch my calves which helps only very slightly doing nothing to straighten my legs or posture. So we've been stuck being tigers in our cave for the last couple of days. And that doesn't get boring!!

I've missed some phone calls too, as I was upstairs only on the 2nd level & on hearing the phone (we only have one of our 7 jacks connected) I then had the thought to get up but by the time I was upright & contemplating the stairs, the phone calls had already stopped.

Wonder if it was the plumber who thought that by taping electrical tape around the pipes under the kitchen sink, that it would actually stop leaking a waterfall. It hasn't. A hint for any like minded do-it-yourselfers out there. The maid has also got in on the swing of things & took our gaffa tape & wrapped that around some more. Goodness me, who needs rubber seals, tool tightened connections, plumbing tape & silicon. Not us, that's for sure.

So I've finally been making the opportunity to utilise the free gym now that I can wrangle some time for myself. The revelation is dawning upon me. During my 3 pregnancies I put on 30+kgs over my pre-pregnancy weight & as the babies popped out only lost about 5 kgs with each baby. I'm now 20kg over which is what I've fluctuated on when not pregnant, but at least some of that is now newly acquired muscle. But the figures actually now mean something to me visibly & if I keep on trying for fitness, maybe some day soon my kids will actually know me as a slim person.

Funny thing is, since I've been in Oman, with the heat, the running around, the stomach bugs I've been feeling like super slim Mrs NZ. Even our maid kindly commented in some detail about how I'd lost weight. However when I went & hooked the video camera up to watch some footage we took the other week of our cherubs in their nativity play, I caught a glimpse of my super svelte self on film & was horrified. After all the compliments I was astounded to see the chubby checker on the screen. I think I have the opposite problem of anorexics, because I feel so slim & fit & energetic & when I look in the mirror I see a slim person. It was only seeing my glorious self blown up on the tv, that reality really hit. A bit of a shock it was & may have been the pre-cursor to the crouching beggar woman stance I now have.

Interesting thing about the gym is that it is nice & new, has lots of great machines, mens & womens gyms, helpful advisors, aerobics classes etc & the most amazing view of a beautiful coast. Talking to a few locals & westies, seems a number of them actually prefer to join the health clubs & pool facilities of the international hotels not too far away. But at substantial cost however. Their excuse is that the facilities aren't great (no jacuzzi & spa - because they're essential for keeeping fit) & they don't want to see company people but if they're all going to the hotel for exercising & recreation they're still going to see each other there. I'm not complaining though because it's never too busy. I had thought about joining a gym at our local shops - its even walking distance & also looks good, but it's not free, parking would sometimes be difficult & fretting about body coverage in the Islamic setting, just doesn't make it worthwhile. Once I do the kids' school drop I just continue along camp for 2 mins, do the gym & can even stop at the beach side bar for something refreshing after as I peer out across the water towards Iran. Couldn't be much easier or pleasant. No excuses then. Except for sore calves.

Deciding to do something more adventurous with the kiddlywinks decided to do some Paper machier. They loved being able to rip up paper & make a huge mess, then stick their hands & everything else in glue & wipe it all over balloons. But then....they got tired & bored & it was left to Mum to finish the balloons. As per usual they were over it in 5 mins & busy igniting tantrums in each other. But I had fun & even Pushpa the maid joined me. Only one of the balloons has survived its shape overnight as they got pummelled a bit. Nice thing was they dry quite quickly outside in the heat. The next part of the activity scheduled for today or tomorrow is painting them. Can't wait for that. My favourite!!!

Think we'll go to the beach instead. Dad's home for EID break & my legs are loosening up. Time to get sand in our hair, eyes, mouth, togs, towels, bags, food, drinks, car, house. PERFECT!

No comments: