Wednesday, November 14, 2007

9: Three Rolls of Toilet Paper... - 14 Nov 2007

3 ROLLS OF TOILET PAPER...
Three rolls of toilet paper, a lot of it unravelled, shower gel, shampoo & conditioner. All of this is just what I collected out of my bed. Siena has always enjoyed ferreting in bathrooms, taking the contents & relocating & often emptying them elsewhere. We learnt to keep all the bathroom doors closed. However here, with it being so hot we try to leave them open so the air con from other rooms can make it's way around. So instead of hopping into bed with the usual toys, books, clothes, jigsaw pieces, & shoes, now I'm finding bathroom items, some of them open & spilling. Our bedspread, or should I say the company's, gets fresh toothpaste spots daily.

KITTENS
One of my four little hungry cats I thought may be a mummy, is. Today she let us see her four kittens. They're quite old (not newborns) & look healthy. They do stick to her but are walking around & could eat food I suspect. No wonder she has been so hungry. I was getting annoyed with her for being so greedy & taking all the other cats' food. Then she would disappear for ages. She was obviously feeding her little ones with milk.

FIREWORKS
We got to enjoy a great Guy Fawkes night. The company has a party at their beach. It's like a miniature version of those free in-the-park festivities that are held in the domain. The club area was packed with cars - the majority 4 wheel drive monsters. There was a foodie area with shwarmas & Indian & other aromatic delights & the bars & restaurants were open & thriving. Loads of families were all over the beach & it was really hot. As we're generally wrapped up in nightly routine from 5.00pm onwards I never knew how warm it was at night. It's the perfect time to swim. There were loads of locals enjoying the festivities. I can imagine they're very popular with locals - a chance to throw the abayas (black cloaks) & the white ones men wear & go mufti. The fireworks display was pretty amazing. It kind of beat the New Years offering we get in the Auckland harbour. It seemed to go on forever. That could have had something to do with Kaija Meltdown. She came out when the fireworks started up. She was terrified by the noise & at some point sprinted off into the dark following some man who she mistook for Seth. After rescuing her from the crowded bar area & back to the beach she tantrumed right through till the end. When she fell asleep exhausted. It kind of ended our night. We left our new friends from Cole's class partying on the beach.

NOT A SNAKE
It was very fading light as I was perched on the beach, merrily chatting, quite relaxed, wine in hand when a 3 year old suddenly appeared directly in front of me holding a snake by its neck in his hands. Within seconds I'd leaped up on my aching old knees, & lurched myself off the blanket & out of reach, grabbing one of my children as I went. Turns out it was only a toy. To me that's like pointing a toy gun at a bank teller. Not very funny. I did join in the laughter, having a good relief chuckle once I became aware of the fake. But it blew my cover. I'd remained fairly chilled at other times when the kids were near greenery & gardens when others had been wary. Trying not pass on my snake phobia. But that 3 yr old & his fake snake busted me.

DOCTORS VISITS
Kaija has been in & out of kindy, with her bad cold, chesty thing. Finally we made it to the clinic today & third time lucky we have got antibiotics. Hopefully she'll clear up now. Meanwhile the other two are starting. Cole vomited in my car on the way to school yesterday although was great for the rest of the day & went to school today. Siena however starting vomitting today. It's all go. I suppose the weather is cooling (at least in the evenings) & new country, climate & exposure to new types of viruses etc. Decided to use the free clinic with pharmacy in it, if we are going to be visiting this often. Today we got an Arab doctor who was really great, good explainer. The man dispensing at the pharmacy had just begun talking about Nz with me, seems he went to Christchurch or something. Of all the cold places! We were quite rudely interrupted by a large & dramatic British woman. I do believe he rolled his eyes about her.

HOSTILE GLANCES
I braved going to a furniture shop by myself the other day. We are looking for a great big majestic arabic style bed. I think they call them "western style" versus our "arabic style". They are quite gaudy but I think fitting here. First time I went alone shopping. I had a lot of hostile stares from the men working there. I wasn't dressed in abaya but I wasn't showing my knees or shoulders, just my elbows & calves. Still seemed they were enough to cause distress. I took Seth back for a look at the furniture. Actually I really just wanted to see the reaction this time. I was completely ignored as if invisible & they made eye contact with & acknowledged Seth. Appeared friendly but very cool. The one guy stalked through every department on all 3 storeys of the building. We've decided we won't be buying anything there. Luckily we've seen similar elsewhere.
(This is a picture of our home to be. Inshallah) It's one of 6 built. This shows 2, ours is the left. Luckily 3 other company families will be with us. Our children are very noisy inside & outside & I notice the sound reverberates around the house.

STILL NO NEW HOUSE
New house soon inshallah - god willing. We thought god might be willing this week. Turns out not. We have the keys & keep going to check. Still no gas connected, furniture put in or cleaning done. The curtain rails are up though. We chose fabric for them a week or so ago. We're getting more keen to move as all basins in our current bathrooms manage to leak the contents on to our floors for some reason, as does our washing machine. No plugs for washing dishes or the bath although we have made our own substitutes. We've searched all shops, told the plumber, but not heard or seen anything since. The water pressure is incredibly low in the showers, it takes me a long time to go through the process of washing my massive head of hair. So I don't do it as often as I'd like. All very good in 30C+ temperatures. Still inshallah - maybe by end of next week.

GIRLS NIGHT
I've been writing this blog entry all week. It is now Wednesday evening the "Friday night" in Oman. I have kindly been invited to a girl's night at one of the mums from Cole's class. We also went to the fireworks with them last weekend. They seem like they enjoy a bit of a drink & a chat. It appears that the husbands fairly often have to go away "interior" or other parts of Oman or even other countries for work, courses & what not. Seth also tells me excitedly about times he may have to go abroad. Now that we've got Pushpa, I won't mind.

DOMESTIC HELPER
We ended up finding a domestic helper from the supermarket ad board. After talking to a few on the phone & meeting another one in person, we next met her. She speaks English well although there are a few crossed wires. She seems nice though, good with the kids & works well. Unlike the domestic helpers I noticed in South Africa. She only comes for 3 hours a day at the moment however. When we one day move into the new house she will live in & we will hire her permanently and sponsor her through the company. It will help with the school routine especially when someone is sick. Currently the sick one gets dragged everywhere to all the drop offs & pick ups - no chance to sleep, rest & recover. Of course at 30C at 8.00am in the morning you can't even leave them in the car for 5 mins. It'll work much better once we're in the magic new house. Not long now. Inshallah.

EMAILS
Thank you for all the emails sent in response to the blog goings on. My own email replies are a bit slow you may have noticed. I'll try to do a blog entry maybe weekly so I don't have to repeat in many emails. One thing driving me crazy is my internet access is r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w. I'm on some wireless connection. We will in time get on to ADSL which we are hoping will be a bit faster. At least we've got access. So I can only get a tenth of my internet/emailing done. Maybe a faster ADSL at the new house will sort that out. Inshallah again.

No comments: